Saturday, September 10, 2005

HAVE FUN

Today I was sitting and gazing at the mountains, enjoying a beautiful mountain day with brilliant sunshine. My mind drifted in and out of the present. Some of what drifted in was the fact that so many adults take themselves so seriously. This becomes even more evident when one pays attentions to the news or reads websites like Rumour Mill News. So I want to a pose a question to you. When was the last time you let yourself totally and completely give in to having fun? Just enjoying a space of time with complete abandonment? My guess would be it's been a while. I would like to share with you some of my experiences over the last month while I was visiting my family in Canada.

I come from a large family and have several grown up nieces and nephews as well as several great-nieces and nephews. I love them all very dearly and we are very close. As I have been a gypsy for over 20 years I do not get to see them very often but when I do my time with all of them is very precious. One niece lives very near to her parents and her two kids come over often. JM is seven and is a Downs Syndrome and JW is four. These two kids think, and they are not far off, that I come to Canada just to play with them. We really do have the greatest time. I get on the floor with them build towers, race monster trucks, do puzzles, tumble, laugh and basically carry on like a kid. I love it and so do they. When I am playing with them, at their level not mine, I am a kid again and time, worries, cares and all else just totally disappears. The greatest part of this is that the rest of my family, those adults with all the worries and cares, do not think it is strange or weird that a fifty year old is there playing just as intensely and with the same abandon as the youngsters. My greatest joy was when JW would phone asking, if he could come and play. When was the last time a four year old called you and asked to come over to play? I also give the same attention and time to the teenagers. Only we do things with a little less abandon. But we still lay on the floor or in bed and talk about what is really important in their world or compare drawings or talk about their dreams, the night kind. We laugh and carry on like teenagers. They too phone and ask when I am coming over.

We as adults have forgotten how to have FUN! We are so serious about everything. These little star beings can teach us so much, especially to just enjoy ourselves in the moment. Their greatest gift is to show us to do what we feel like doing and not worry what others will think. They just do and enjoy it. So go out and dance in the rain celebrating the cleansing energy that it brings. Go skinny dipping in a cool mountain stream. Skip down the street because you are happy. Smile at strangers. Roll in the grass. Most of all laugh just because.

Every where I have roamed in the world, I have always found these star beings who keep me young and who remind me not to take things so seriously and to just have FUN.

Blessings,
Wawa Quilla
August 2005